#TTGSparked with Marie Burgos

One of New York's top interior designers and Feng Shui experts, Marie Burgos recently sat down with us for #TTGSparked where she gave us a quick lesson in Feng Shui principles, an example of how important a booming online presence is and caught us up on all her plans for 2017 which include her own furniture line and a bi-coastal office!

It's an exciting time to be Marie Burgos!
What inspired you to enter the design industry?
In my life, I aspired for more balance, happiness and harmony. Through Feng Shui I learned that my home environment had a huge influence on my emotions and ultimately, on my achievements and happiness. I have always admired the architecture and beauty of Paris and my native country and with a family who originated from the beautiful island of Martinique, I experienced the color and natural elements of nature in the Caribbean. I also felt that I needed to use my creativity because I am surrounded with creative people in my family. My mother is a painter, one of my brothers is an Executive Chef, the other is a musician and my husband, a photographer! For years, I was the only one working in a very corporate career and the need to use my natural creativity really began kicking in... the rest is history!
Contemporary Tribeca Family Loft
Wow, so you've always had so much creativity around you! How did you start getting involved in designing luxury hotels and luxury residential properties?
My approach to creating spaces, which integrates the Feng Shui philosophy, lead me to focus on balance, harmony, the use of natural elements and the Yin and Yang forces. My first magazine feature in World Bride Magazine and Time Out NY showcased me as a designer and Feng Shui expert. This approach attracted a high-end clientele in search of a more balanced lifestyle. I was able to create these spaces. Also in 2012, I created the model loft space for the “Spice Warehouse” famous Tribeca building. This design space went viral online with my modern industrial approach with the photoshoot images reaching 25,000 viewings each on Houzz.com.  So, word of mouth and a great presence online made my company successful.
Being a Feng Shuit expert, we'd love to know - what are some Feng Shui rules you abide by and incorporate when designing?
Feng Shui is about balance and harmony. I work on creating the perfect layout for the Chi energy to nourish the space. This is by unblocking entrances and really creating a clutter free space. I also use the five natural elements: water, wood, fire, earth and metal. These elements are all present in the space in the form of a color, texture or shape so that they can bring harmony. Lastly, I apply Yin and Yang. These two opposite forces which create balance together, such as straight lines paired with curves, hard surfaces like a glass table, paired with a plush rug or pillows, dark areas (wall colors or furniture) against a light background or ambient light - it is all about balance and creating a space that looks beautiful but also feels right.
Industrial Antiquarian Residence
That's so intriguing. What is the biggest misconception with Feng Shui?
Feng Shui is not a science or some magical discipline. It is a logical and straightforward way of life following the rules of nature. Lots of the Feng Shui rules are purely common sense. Another misconception is to think that the space has to look “Asian” to be Feng Shui. Great news! Your space doesn’t have to look like a Chinese restaurant to benefit from Feng Shui. It actually can be very elegant without any crystals or wing chimes and still have Feng Shui integrated by the means of furniture placement and the use of the right finishes, elements and lighting.
So there really is no excuse not to use some Feng Shui disciplines to balance their space. What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Having my first child on the day of a large Loft design installation (not onsite thankfully!) I indeed work on my clients’ projects until the last minute before giving birth! Another highlight has been being featured in books and lately in Architectural Digest! Also, being featured as the “Best of Houzz Design and Service” every single year.
Riverview Restaurant
Those are some incredibe achievements, congratulations! What would be your dream project?
My dream project would be an entire hotel design. I would love to create a Zen space for the lounge, a fabulous restaurant and bar for this hotel. Most importantly, room suites which are a real haven of peace. I would also like to sell my line of furniture, lighting, fabrics and accents throughout the US and internationally.

We're so excited for your furniture line! What are some of the projects you’re working on for 2017?
We are working on several residential projects. Two 4 and 6 floor townhouses, two apartment combinations and three apartments in Manhattan. We are also currently developing and soon launching our line of furniture, lighting, fabrics and accents as well as preparing exhibits for the fine art photography of my husband and partner Francis Augustine. Lastly, we are expanding our business to LA and moving our main residence there. We are now a bi-coastal company with offices in New York and Los Angeles.
Tribeca Penthouse
Congratulations! So many exciting things happening for you guys. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not designing?
I spend a lot of time with my two children who are 4 and 2 years old. Family is important and grounding. We also love traveling and have family in the Caribbean, Europe and Australia. The mix of cultures and sceneries open your mind and creativity.


Does your personal style go hand and hand with your signature interior design style?
I indeed like very clean simple lines in fashion too, as well as layering different textures and I often wear an accessory such as a scarf…very French I guess!

You can check out www.MarieBurgosDesign.com for more information on Marie and her beautiful designs. You can also follow her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Popular Posts